9 Tips for New Bloggers
9 Tips for New Bloggers
Have you considered blogging and the decision to finally take the jump to get started? Have you chosen your preferred blogging platform, began the design process, or have your first draft?
Congrats! Now the work begins! It can seem daunting, but there are a few tips to help get you started. There are so many tips, and things to consider out there, and it might feel overwhelming or you might not know which tips are most relevant to your blog.
As you get started, focus on the basics first.
Here are nine tips to help you get you started!
- Before you press publish or you launch your blog- you need a plan. In fact, it’s always helpful to have a plan for your blog. Questions to consider: What frequency or how often do you want to ideally post- once per month, twice per month, once a week, or more? Is there a specific order or theme for your posts? What are the first set of posts you want to write?
- Set aside time to brainstorm, especially right now. These questions can help you get started thinking about the design of your blog, and the best direction you want to go: Why are you blogging? What is your blog about? What do you want to write about? Who is your audience?
- The design of your blog. Consider things like color and font , and remember to stick to what best represents you. Don't make it difficult to read or find your posts. What pages should you have? Your posts can be the only page on your blog, but make sure to have contact information, and other important information on their own pages.
- Keep a list of blog ideas handy if you hit writers’ block or have so many ideas that you want to tackle them all. Keep track of this list somewhere- in a document, a whiteboard, or even a bullet journal.
- Following that- just because you write a post or several doesn’t mean you need to publish it right away. Use your plan to determine when you want to schedule your posts. Try and space them out- you never know when you might get very busy or have writers’ block.
- Once your blog is live or you have a few posts published, spread the word! Share your blog on social media! Often you can share posts directly from your blog. Reach out to people in your life to help spread the word but to also read over your blog and posts to offer feedback and advice.
- Use a scheduler so that you can share your posts on social media more than once (especially on Twitter).
- Don’t worry about the views and shares right now. In fact, ignore that data ,and stats for several months. It takes time to build up your blog and spread the word. Don’t let those numbers negatively impact your motivation in the beginning. This data can be useful,but it’s easy to get caught up, and discouraged by those numbers in the beginning.
- Know that what you’ve created and started doesn’t have to stay set in stone. As you grow older and develop as a writer (or your business), things like your style, tone, theme, passion, etc. might change. That can apply to your blog as well! Be careful when updating and making changes. Just like starting your blog, you want to plan it out!
As you get more involved in blogging and find what works for you, there are even more tips and trick out there to explore. Make a plan and make sure you focus on the basics first!